Today we got the results back from Joshua's spinal tap and bone marrow testing. The bone marrow revealed what the doctors were pretty sure of already, that Joshua has acute lymphoid leukemia (ALL). The spinal tap was a test to see if any of the leukemia cells had gotten into his spinal fluid and therefore up to his brain. We were thankful that the test was negative; no cancer in his spinal fluid. Also, his numbers seem to indicate that he is responding well to the chemotherapy so far.
The world can change and be brought into perspective very quickly, and sometimes more than once in a week. On Wednesday everything we had worried about in life suddenly seemed insignificant, and today we were thankful for something that we never thought we would have to be thankful for. Joshua's world, too, is really different than it has been and it will be for sometime. But he is teaching us how to be thankful.
He, for example, is thankful when the play room is open and there are trains to play with. He is thankful for 15 or 20 minutes during the day when he is not hooked to his IV. And he is thankful when his friends come to see him. I'm hoping that one of the things that the Lord does in us during this time is develop a consistent perspective of abundance rather than want. For example, there is a little boy on our floor who has a different type of leukemia. His mom is bracing for a 10 week stint in the hospital and the recovery from a bone marrow transplant. Our life is comparatively abundant; however, there is still work in prayer to do.
On day 7 of the treatment, that is Friday, Joshua will have another bone marrow test and at that point, the doctors will either declare him to be an early reponder or a late responder to treatment. If he is classified as an early responder, that essentially means that his leukemia is occupying less than 5% of his cells and there is a different treatment track. Would you pray along with us that on Friday his test would reveal that the chemotherapy has indeed been that effective?
One of the verses that we like these days in trying to develop this attitude of abundance is Psalm 112:7: He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord.
33 comments:
We will be praying for Friday's results. Will you let us know when we can come visit?! Even if the boys can't come, I'd love to come visit you guys & see Jana's lil' belly---take care of yourself also, Jana--we are also praying for baby Kelley! We love you~
We will be praying for you all--Michael, Jana, Joshua and Baby Kelley. Hope to see you soon. Abby
So glad to hear today's official tap news. We were waiting and praying. Praise Him! We love you all so much. Kiss Joshua for us.
--Aunt Kim & Uncle Cory and the cousins.
We are asking God specifically for the tests to return favorably on Friday. We also pray for His love and comfort to wash over you during this time. God has always been glorified in your lives and this journey is no exception. We love and miss you!
Brooks, Elisabeth, Brooks Barron and Jake Souders
Thanks for the dose of perspective... We love you.
Praying specifically for Friday... Rashel...
Oh, Precious Ones!
How glorious is this news! We can hardly wait to hear the wonderful news that will come later this week. Our God is great and mighty and strong and the greatest physician of all. We are praying for each of you continually. Thank you for this site; it is wonderful for us who love you so much.
Gwen H.
The Souders are friends and sent us to your blogsite. Our son, Jonathan, was born with Down syndrome this year. Additionally, he had a heart defect that was corrected in February with open heart surgery when he was just ten weeks old. We can identify with what you are going through on some level. We are praying for what you specified.
We have been there,
Jamie, Julie, Jackson, and Jonathan Warren
Praying for effective chemo. Praying for your ministry to the mom down the hall. Praying for you. Courtney & Dale
Jenni's mom (my cousin's wife) sent this my way and I will say an extra prayer for Joshua tonight. Keeping you and your family in prayer as well as you deal with this situation.
I attend a Unity church here in NYC. One of my favourite Unity prayers is:
The light of God surrounds you,
the love of God enfolds you,
the power of God protects you.
Wherever you are,
God is, and all is well.
God bless.
-kim
Michael, Jana, and Joshua,
Know that I am praying for you and thinking of you guys often! I have my church here in Moldova praying for you as well. I only wish I could be there to visit!
I am deeply sadden, yet deeply encouraged by your family as you fight this! Know that I am praying for you and your family back in Kansas! Joshua - you will always have a special place in my heart!
~Courtney Walter
Wichita, KS
We are rejoicing that the Spinal Tap was negative for cells and the Bone Marrow Test revealed ALL. Thank you God!
Your Psalm verse has become a favorite of mine to claim often as we walk through the Cancer journey.
I am praying that our Mighty God surrounds you with healing, protection and amazing love and strength today.
Your church family is in constant prayer for you.
Ellen
I'm so happy to hear about the spinal tap results. I'm always thinking of you all. I'll keep praying for you. Joshua's has amazing parents taking care of him! I keep remembering what it was like for me when I was growing up with my heart problems. I found a lot of comfort in knowing I had a great family watching out for me. And I'm sure he does, too.
Jon Dicus
Michael, Jana & Joshua:
We have added you to our prayer list at Paramount Baptist Church in Amarillo. We are praying that you have peace and courage during this trying time. We know that Joshua is going to get a good report and that you are going to be able to use this story in your ministery to others. Take care and we love you all!
Stacy (Duggan) Knight
Holly and I are thankful for the good news and the chance to talk with you last night. We'll see you Wednesday. Praying ...
Praying
callie
I'm so glad to hear the good news of the spinal tap results. I'll be praying for you guys this week that the test on Friday will show continued improvement. We love you guys!
~Jennifer Knutson
Hi Michael, Jana & Joshua. My name is Jennifer Hawley and I live in Amarillo, TX. Your story hits so very close to home and is a carbon copy of ours. Our son Aaron was diagnosed with ALL on August 22, 2003, he was four. I was only 13 weeks pregnant with our daughter when Aaron was diagnosed. I am so happy to hear that Joshua is doing so well! Aaron is doing well and he has only 6 days left of chemo. I understand exactly what you are going through and would love to visit with you. I would love to answer any questions you have about the road maps or what to expect in the future. I am assuming that Joshua also takes Dexamethasone and would be glad to answer any questions about behaviors or to just let you vent. I can assure you that each of you will be in my prayers daily. There were so many days that I felt I would not make it or I did not want to deal with anything anymore. Without the prayers of our family, friends and absolute strangers, we would not be where we are today. God is awesome and will provide for you in so many ways! Please email me at any time (jhawley@extendicare.com)! God bless each of you today. I pray for strength, comfort, health, and laughter for each of you.
Praying for your little one and your family - May Joshua be healed by the power of Jesus!
Hey Kelleys,
Dale sent us the link to this blog and we are so thankful we can now keep up with what is going on. Our hearts were broken when we heard about the diagnosis last week. We immediately committed it to prayer. We trust God that He is ALREADY healing little Joshua. We love you guys and wish you were here so YM2 could love you more tangibly, but you know we are all praying.
David, Jennifer, and Isabelle Sides
Our staff got togeather in pryer for Joshua yesterday and he has been placed on our prayer chain. I was glad to hear teh good news from the tap tests. Know that you are in our hearts and covered in prayer.
Jeff Dietz
Just checkin' in with you. We're praying for Friday's results to be positive and for continued healing and peace for your family. I put something in the mail today for Joshua, so keep your eyes peeled. HA!
Michael, Jana, and Joshua,
Please know that our family is constantly praying for you through this journey. We love you and know that you are in the Lord's gracious hands.
Jud Price
Dear Michael and Janna,
Jeri and I have been keeping up on the progress of Joshua and are so thrilled at the initial tests. Please know that you are on the prayer list at Coulter, and all over the panhandle. Your extended family has gone through so much these last few years, and we pray often for you all. Thank you for the blog, it is so helpful in keeping up with progress.
All our love and prayers
Chris & Jeri Gerald
Michael and Jana,
Long time no see! : ) Dale e-mailed us and we were just devastated to hear the news. However, in true form, you guys are using this experience to raise up the glory of God.
We are praying for you and praying for Joshua... praying that this is something that you guys look back on at Joshua's graduation and praise God for, something that happened so long ago he can't even remember it.
Let us know if there's anything YM2 can do for you! We miss you and love you.
Jeff and Amy Chambless
We will continue to pray and trust during this time. Continue to let us know what can be done to help you guys during this time. Know that we love you guys.
J. Roger Davis and Fam
Kelleys,
Brad and I are praying and thinking of you continually. My mom (Linda Wright) works at Vandy Children's, so I have told her to keep an eye out for you when you're up for treatments. She remembers Joshua from the day he had his portacath put in, and she remembers him being calm and strong. I pray that God gives you all that same strength and assuredness that He will guide you on this path.
We love you,
Brad, Bethany & Gabrielle Jones
Praise be to our God for such great news and so quickly "an abundant" answer. We pray that each day is as blessed and that our precious baby is healed quickly. Prayer is our tool to the Father, and isn't it wonderful He hears and answers. Rest peacefully, the journey has just begun.
Mike and Janna
I'm praying that God's grace, peace, and presence will be tangible to you on this leg of your journey. May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope. Rom 15:13
Sarah Hale
It is a amazing how much strength that you find that you have during a time like this. It truely shows how God works!Your in are prayers.
The Bruce Family- Fort Worth Tx
Hey sweet friends! I am so proud of you both! What a testimony to your intimacy with the Lord in how you are handling this. Thanks for this blog. It is so helpful for us who are so far away and can't do many practical things to help and get info. I passed this cite onto our WT crowd. I love you -all three - well four- and will spread the word about praying for Friday.
Oh, how we praise the Father for each detail of your journey. No, it is not fun to be IN the hospital but you got the good news so much quicker! We pray for your steps to be strengthened by the power of the Holy Spirit - you are not alone. From Fairview, Alberta CANADA Hope & Ray Shannon
Post a Comment