Monday, January 08, 2007

Captain Blood Count




Christmas has come and gone, and we are still at home. Not only that, but Joshua's blood counts have continued to go up. Just as a refresher if you are not up on your leukemia terminology, "blood counts" refers to Joshua's ability to fight infection. As you know, during chemotherapy, the reason why kids have to go back to the hospital many times has to do with the fact that the medicine kills their immune system, rendering them incapable of fighting disease. We are thankful to the Lord, and to you for praying that direction, that Joshua's counts have not dropped; in fact, they have gone up to be in the counts of a normal kid. This has caused us to believe (at least for these few weeks) that Joshua is, as many of you may have suspected, a super hero whose superpower is that he is impervious to the side effects of chemotherapy. We call him "Captain Blood Count."

So many things to be thankful for in the captain's journey right now - we have not been back to the hospital; the doctors are pleased with his progress, especially the way his body is handling the chemo; and that we have a few weeks off from going to the hospital. We are bracing for what will be the next phase of Joshua's treatment that should come near the end of February. Apparently, this next phase is dramatic enough that most kids have to check back into the hospital at that time. So we are trying to enjoy these weeks when he still feels like a superhero.

On the subject of our daughter (how strange does that feel) we feel like we have now the right life verse for her. Perhaps it's selfish for us to choose a life verse for her based on the circumstances of her birth, but we're doing it anyway.

Romans 15:13: "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."

19 comments:

jenni said...

We have been thinking about you all & I'm glad to hear that you have been able to be at home--we miss you & hope to see you soon! We love you-Captain Blood Count!!

It's a Mom Thing said...

I was getting worried b/c you hadn't posted in a while. But I'm glad to know it was b/c you were spending family time AT HOME! Yea!

Captain Blood Count ROCKS, but we already knew that! I'm so thankful for these blessings that you've mentioned and will continue to pray for mild side effects as Joshua gets ready for the next phase. And for you guys as you continue to grow as parents under these circumstances. And I'm SOOO excited about this daughter(I think it sounds totally cool) that will be here before you know it. Great life verse...well done!

Christy said...

Praise God!! We are thankful for the time he has given you at home and pray that Captain Blood Count can make it through this next phase just as strong. Your daughter will be blessed by the wonderful family she is being born into...big brother can use his superhuman powers to protect her too:) Enjoy this time and we'll continue to pray for healing.

Anonymous said...

eh...she's your kid...you can do what you want. LOVE the picture of Joshua in the laundry basket. precious. he looks so great! and so do mom and dad. captain blood count rocks the kazbah. and the ganga. well probably not the ganga. but he rocks all that is to be rocked. and that is much.
love
erin & ben

Anonymous said...

Mom has been sending me links to your blog for a long time! Just know, you've got two people here in Okie world (a.k.a.Oklahoma) praying for your family. Blessings! <>< - Shawn and Britney Stephens

Anonymous said...

awesome! y'all will continue to be in our prayers.
jessica & jeremy

Anonymous said...

Michael, hey, great job on those Christmas gifts! A basketball goal for the young man, and a laundry basket for your wife. You really are romantic.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that laundry basket comment was me.

AR

Anonymous said...

They say that no news is good news which is what I was hoping since we had not heard from you of late. Praise be to God that Captain Blood Count is getting back his active, loveable, mischievous, and impish self--slowly but surely. They say that the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree. Michael--he is a spitting image of you. I will continue to keep all of you in my daily prayers. May your family continue to be blessed in 2007.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the encouragement in knowing that super heros still exist. Praying for you guys.

callie

Christy said...

Jana--I'm sure you were thinking "who is this random person stopping at my house?" I was just so shocked to fiqure out we lived in the same neighborhood! So, I'm Christy McInturff--we ran into each other at Panera befor Christmas and I used to play with Joshua at the Y AND now I know I'm your neighbor too.

Anonymous said...

Becca the Fam and I are continuing to pray for you guys.

Get ready for pink and purple...

Wisdom or mere foolishness… said...

Praise God for the answered prayers! we will continue to pray for you and yours!

Jenny said...

I am so glad you guys have had a great holiday. We'll be praying that Captain Bloodcount comes through his next treatment with flying colors. Congrats on the Baby girl. We need some more girls to even out the neighborhood.
Jenny, Lee,Emma and Baby girl Patton.

Anonymous said...

Mighty Volt FINALLY gets a partner! Go, Captain Blood Count, go!!

Anonymous said...

I am happy to share in your good news about Joshua's miraculous blood count and also the news of your baby girl. We have been missing Joshua at Crieve Hall, and the boys still ask about him. We have his picture up on the bulletin board and he is in our prayers. We hope to hear more good news soon.

Marlene Cowan

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful to hear the good news about Joshua's blood count. He is truly a hero and his parents are an inspiration as they recount his journey. God sees the hero in the home where parents act with courage and nobility of purpose in raising their child. God also sees the tremendous sacrifices of those who deny themselves to take care of their families. God's words to you today: "Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord, your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9.
Love and Prayers,
Always, Joan

Anonymous said...

Jana,
I still check on you guys every chance I get. We are so happy that you were home for the holidays and so excited about the sweet little girl that is on her way. Please let me know if you ever need anything and we will continue to pray for you all. Love tiffany, nathan and cy

Anonymous said...

Is he Superman or Spiderman either way his super powers rock. Oh can he get any cuter than when he is in the clothes basket. His smile warms my heart! We miss you! The Mahers