Thursday, January 18, 2007

Has Captain Blood Count Finally Met His Match?


It seems so, friends. At our appointment yesterday, Joshua's blood counts were significantly lower than they had been. They were still at a good level, but down from the exceptional levels we had been seeing.

We as a family are doing our best to enjoy the next few weeks. February 14th will begin the 8 most difficult weeks of Joshua's entire treatment. As we were looking through the list of medicines yesterday with our doctor, we noticed that all of the new medications he will begin on that day have nausea listed as their number one side effect. Also, he will probably at long last lose his hair pretty quickly after the beginning of this phase. Further, one of the medications actually causes fever, and as you know, fever is the thing that sends us back into the hospital. For these reasons, we are virtually sure of at least one more hospital stay during those weeks.

I wondered if we should wait to write about what is coming until it is closer; after all, we have talked at great length about living one day at a time and worrying about today's concerns rather than tomorrow. I guess both Jana and I after our appointment yesterday are feeling a little more militant than usual. That is to say, we believe there is a virtual army of people - many of whom have never even met us - who for some reason have been stirred by our remarkable 2 year old son. And when you have an army at your disposal, I think the right thing to do is to let them fight.

So we have a little less than a month before D-Day; I think Joshua's treatment has gone so well thus far because of your participation in our lives through love and prayer. In light of that, I wondered if we could begin to pray together in advance of these challenges. As you think about it, would you please ask the Lord for minimum side effects of chemotherapy, for no fever, and for Joshua to continue to enjoy life.

Thank you for going to battle with us.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know, Bethany and I are praying for you every night.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you let us know and we can begin praying. It is a privilege for me to bring these concerns to our powerful Lord Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you guys continually and hope we can connect soon ...
rob and holly

Anonymous said...

Michael and Jana, we are praying for your precious son. (He is a complete doll!!!) Know that you are being lifted up in Atlanta by the Pizzas...(former ym2-mates!!!)
love,
Rocky and Cindy
Jer. 32:17 "Ah, Lord God! It is you who made the heavens and the earth by your great power and by your outstretched arm! Nothing is too hard for you."

jenni said...

We will be with you every step of the way!!! Go Captain Blood Count, GO!!!
We had a great time at the park last week & we hope we can do it again soon!
Our prayers are ALWAYS with you-
we love you!

Anonymous said...

Dear Father in Heaven, We praise your name and are grateful for your love and mercy. We lift up Joshua to you, praying that he will not suffer severe side effects from the medication to come, that he will not have fever and is able to enjoy life as he is undergoing treatment. We trust you, Father, for we know that you love Joshua and will be with him every day, now and in the future. Give his parents and those who love him the peace that can only come from our Lord Jesus Christ. And it is in His name I pray. Amen

You are in my prayers,
Always, Joan

Anonymous said...

I will for sure be praying for you guys in the ways that you have asked. So will at least 98 other people who know you and who are members of a facebook group that is dedicated to pray for the three of you every day.

Anonymous said...

Fight on!! We will be praying for your family as we have been! Hope you enjoy your precious next weeks together at home. Jana, you look great! Little girls are such a blessing.
Love,
The Goldsmith Family

Anonymous said...

I think about you all everyday and check daily for updates. Love you all. hugs and kisses - katie h.

Anonymous said...

We are friends of Brad and Amy's in Canyon. We have been so touched and moved by your son and the remarkable way you have been dealing with this in such a Godly way. Our family has been praying for you daily and will continue to - we are part of the "army" and we are praying and believing for miracles!
The Corley's

Anonymous said...

Fighting.

Honored to be part of the good Captain's army.

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting pictures with your updates. it helps keep the connection to see Joshua's precious face. praying daily.

Jared said...

I'll gladly go to battle for you, my dearest friend.

Anonymous said...

Student Ministry Taylors FBC
Praying for Captain Blood count and for little side affects. The Students ask about your little guy...please know that we are in the army of prayer

Anonymous said...

Onward Christian Soldiers and Prayer Warriors! We march with you all the way and pray for little Joshua and your precious family!

Anonymous said...

still here and still praying! love you all! liza

Anonymous said...

Michael, Randy and I knew you when you were very small at Trinity Baptist Church in Lubbock, Your parents are very special. We will keep Joshua in our prayers.
Myrna & Randy Parsons
Lubbock, Texas

Anonymous said...

Dear Michael & Jana,

I will continue to pray for little Joshua and his blood counts. I will also be praying for his ability to fight the effects of the treatment and for you and Jana to have the strength to battle through the next stage of Josh's protocol. The next part of this journey can be tough...stay positive, be mindful and thankful for all of the blessings God has bestowed upon you. As I went through this with my baby granddaughter, it is seeing God's work in what appeared to be the worst part of the storm that kept me going. The network of blessings is just amazing!!! I believe with all of my heart, one day you will be where we are today...celebrating the healing & miracles He promises us by the faith through which we live.

God bless you and your family!
Amarillo, TX

Anonymous said...

I am glad to fight on Joshua's behalf! I love you all and continue to pray for healing and protection! Bekah

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael and Jana,

Just wanted you to know that we are praying for you and Josh daily. We serve a Great and Awesome God! My prayer is that Josh will have minimal side effects and that God will give you peace, and comfort and that you can feel his love daily.

Love and Hugs,
The Horton's

Anonymous said...

Michael, Jana and Joshua, you are and will continue to be bathed in prayer. It has been an honor to pray for you and fight for Joshua. Remember, the Lord will take you THROUGH this battle victoriously. Do not fear, for He is with you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Michael, Jana, and Joshua,
I am one of those warriors out there who has activated my church on Cape Cod to pray for y'all. I am Adam and Laura's mom/mom-in-law (and Brehm and Elijah's mamat). I have been intending to write to you much sooner than this. Unfortunately, I have had my own "health adventures" and am recovering from a series of mysterious ailments, surgeries, and tests. Please feel God's presence in every moment. Know that He is the Great Physician who works miraculously in our behalf, altho we sometimes don't understand the process and surely don't enjoy the many trials along the way. I send my love to you, along with constant prayer..from my heart to yours. Be strong, sweet Joshua! You are cherished! Hugs from your new northern friend, Bobbi

Anonymous said...

still praying... May God be your total strength as a family and as individuals. The Tims Team

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi Michael,
I just heard about what you are all going through and wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers. I will continue to pray every day that Joshua gets safely and strongly through this, and you and Jana will also be in my prayers.

Since you were the master of the "Captain's Log" I think it only right that you now have a "Captain Blook Count"! The power of positive prayer and thining is great!

Take care and much love,
Mrs. Gwinn

Anonymous said...

Jeremy and I are praying for you guys as well. Honored to join the fight. Love you guys. The Emerts

Anonymous said...

We will pray for you every day.
Love, The Pattons

Anonymous said...

We have not one, but TWO other preschoolers we're praying for right now, who are going through cancer treatment. I sent the following (Isaiah 52:10-12; 53:4-5) to one of them, Ryan Carrigan...his family goes to our church and they're great friends of ours. Now I'm sending it to you in the hope that it might be a source of strength to you too. I just love the last part of verse 12: "the Lord is going before you, and the God of Israel is your rear guard." No matter what you face, the Lord is before you and behind you in the battle!

I'll be praying for you and your family as this new battle begins tomorrow.

52:10 The Lord has displayed His holy arm
in the sight of all the nations;
all the ends of the earth will see
the salvation of our God.

11 Leave, leave, go out from there!
Do not touch anything unclean;
go out from her, purify yourselves,
you who carry the vessels of the Lord.

12 For you will not leave in a hurry,
and you will not have to take flight;
because the Lord is going before you,
and the God of Israel is your rear guard.

53:4 Yet He Himself bore our sicknesses,
and He carried our pains; but we in turn regarded Him stricken, struck down by God, and afflicted.

5 But He was pierced because of our transgressions, crushed because of our iniquities; punishment for our peace was on Him, and we are healed by His wounds.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Juarez (Prayer) Warriors 8 said...

Hello Kelley family from the Juarez family of 8. Your story was sent to me by a very dear friend who I had asked to pray for us concerning our son Aaron also diagnosed with leukemia on 1-7-07. Your comments hit me so hard and let like a fresh rain because I think I have just bottled up so much these last 5-6 weeks. Hoping somehow that they were wrong. Aaron was just diagnosed as a slow early responder (ser) which was unexpected as the first week brought no visible signs of blasts in his blood and ANC counts in the 4000's. Then day 29, bone marrow...results positive. The good news is if we hadn't been on the clinical study,we might not have found out and not finding out could mean a relapse shortly after treatments end. However, GOD is still in control and HIS love and mercy floods our son. We know that HE walks the cancer floor (for us it was floor 2) and we know that HE brings wonderful people to our side in the midst of our trials and pain. Know that the Juarez warrior 8's are praying for Joshua and the chemo kids in tennessee:O) GOD bless you!! thx for writing your story:O)

Juarez (Prayer) Warriors 8 said...

Hello Kelley family from the Juarez family of 8. Your story was sent to me by a very dear friend who I had asked to pray for us concerning our son Aaron 3 years, also diagnosed with leukemia on 1-7-07. Your comments hit me so hard and yet like a fresh rain because I think I have just bottled up so much these last 5-6 weeks. Hoping somehow that they were wrong. Aaron was just diagnosed as a slow early responder (ser) which was unexpected as the first week brought no visible signs of blasts in his blood and ANC counts in the 4000's. Then day 29, bone marrow...results positive. The good news is if we hadn't been on the clinical study,we might not have found out and not finding out could mean a relapse shortly after treatments end. However, GOD is still in control and HIS love and mercy floods our son. We know that HE walks the cancer floor (for us it was floor 2) and we know that HE brings wonderful people to our side in the midst of our trials and pain. HE just brought us you:O) Know that the Juarez(prayer) warrior 8's are praying for Joshua and the chemo kids in tennessee:O) GOD bless you!! thx for writing your story:O)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.