I never wanted to write this, but here goes.
Jana and Joshua went to a regular appointment at the clinic today just to check his blood counts. The counts came back very elevated. Just a refresher on the human immune system as I understand it, here - your white blood cells fight disease and infection. So an elevated count indicates that the body is trying to fight something abnormal inside itself. This high count was one of the indicators when Joshua was first diagnosed with leukemia, and one of the things they look for every time they check his blood now. Since it is elevated, it is a possible indicator that he may be relapsing.
Then again, he may not. The cell count might also be high because Joshua has not had much chemo medicine recently (the chemo medicine suppresses the immune system and makes that number of disease fighters lower). It might also be higher because he has leftover white blood cells from when he was in the hospital a week ago fighting infection. There are a number of possibilities.
The doctor told us today that we shouldn't worry (like there's a chance in hell of that happening), that she would do a few more tests and if anything else abnormal shows up she would call us. At the very least Joshua is supposed to go in for chemo a week from today so they will check it again then.
So many of you have prayed so much for us over the past year; I'd love it if you could beat down the door with this one. We are asking God, who I have taken to calling our Shield, that this would be a false alarm. Please do the same with us, okay?
6 comments:
we are absolutely committed to praying for your precious boy and for your family.
we love you guys so much and are sorry you have to endure this. it just really, really stinks.
i am praying for joshua and for you guys. i hope so much that it is not a relapse...i am praying against that! and i am also praying that you all have an amazing christmas this year!!! love, carrie
I'm definitely praying and have passed it along. And now that I'm living in the country, call if you need anything! I love and miss you all!
We will be praying!
The Mahers
We love you!
We are praying here at Rolling Hills for you today, that God would carry all of you through this with His mighty hand!
Post a Comment