Thursday, December 13, 2007

Is It Just My Imagination...

We don't write about it often because it isn't fun and we are so busy while it is happening, but usually this week every month is terrible. We start steroids that last for five days after getting Vincristin (chemo) through his port, and sometimes Methotrexate (also chemo) in Joshua's spine. The appointment is usually long and arduous. The Vincristin almost immediately causes joint pain for Joshua. The steroids cause crazy mood swings, food cravings, and overall neediness. All of this together can make for 5 tough days for all of us.
The strange part began yesterday. The appointment went much faster than usual (thanks to a new system -- way to go clinic!). Joshua and I actually had a lot of fun. We played a Dora game, watched a National Geographic video and ate lunch with our sweet friend, Allison. To top all of this off, trombones played Christmas music on the Children's Hospital stage (if you aren't aware, Joshua is asking for band instruments for Christmas -- who knows?!) It was seemingly a great morning. The strangeness continued when we were told that Joshua has both an ear infection and strep throat. Mind you, he has not had any fever and has been playing and eating like a champ. 
Usually, Joshua wakes up the morning after this monthly appointment in tears, begging for food and wanting only to sit with mommy and watch a show. So, as I usually do on this kind of week, I woke up early, got Joshua's breakfast ready, pillows in place, and fed Andi her bottle so I would be ready. Instead, Joshua woke up laughing, ran into our room and said, "I think I might wait for breakfast." What? Are you seeing the strangeness with me?
This day continues to be weird. He played for 30 minutes straight with his trains, did puzzles, and then we spent time pretending with water to bake and cook with measuring cups and spoons. When Andi woke up from her nap he played pots and pans with her. Usually, during this week we avoid the kitchen altogether because of the massive cravings. Strange!
Joshua and Andi are both asleep right now and he may wake up as his normal steroid self. Either way, I am proud of how brave, strong, and kind Joshua always works hard to be during these weeks, or anytime for that matter. And, even if it is just my imagination, it was a very fun morning!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Jana, you're so hot!

jenni said...

I'm so glad it was a good morning!! I hope his ear & throat feel better soon & big praise for no fever!!! Love You!

Allison said...

I am just finally glad to have someone to sit at the small tables in the cafeteria with! I was a bit grossed out by the food selection of taco, chocolate milk and apple! But as mentioned before it is always a thrill to my day to get to see my friends!

cody and carrie said...

what a sweet story! PTL for every day victories! carrie :)

Amanda Conley said...

What a sweet surprise! Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Michael and Jana, Hi. I'm Tracy Atfield and live in Atlanta, GA. Michael, we met at the NOC conference in San Diego. My coworker went to your breakout session and found out that we have a common bond...sons with leukemia. I know it's not funny, but I was laughing at your description of 'steroid week'...I can SO RELATE! It's hard to really understand how nasty those things are unless you live through it with your child. We just got a reduction of steroids from 5 days to 3 days each month (we're 1 1/2 years into maintenance and the side effects were too much)! This was our 1st month for the reduction and it was awesome (well, as awesome as chemo/steroid treatment can be)! :-) I'm praying for you all to see God's glory through treatment and for complete healing. Jana, way to go on your training for TNT! What a blessing to be able to do that!

Take care,
Tracy Atfield