Friday, March 07, 2008

Solacious Appetite


I have heard this phrase used many times and never really knew its exact meaning. Today, I took the time to look it up on dictionary.com . Solacious - affording solace. Solace - comfort in sorrow, misfortune, or trouble; alleviation of distress or discomfort. I can now say that I have seen a solacious appetite first hand. As we've said before, Joshua has to take steroids for 5 days in conjunction with his monthly large chemo treatments. Among the worst side effects of the steroids are huge mood swings and a enormous appetite. I am unsure about the reason for Joshua's need to eat, but I think it mostly comes from a need to comfort himself. My prayer for him is that this appetite can one day be exchanged for a hunger and thirst for Christ himself. For now, it makes for some very interesting days.

Joshua woke up today in a great mood; laughing, giggling, making jokes, and singing songs. Then, the hunger that comes with steroids hit. Today's menu is as follows:

 6:45 - 2 frozen waffles with syrup
 7:00 - fruit cup
 7:10 - corn Chex with blueberries and milk
8:30 - Chik-fil-A drive thru
    We "shared" chicken minis, hashbrowns, and fruit
9:45 - crackers at CBS
11:30 - walks out of CBS talking about plans for lunch
11:35 - falls asleep in the car
12:05 - wakes up as we drive by McAlister's Deli
     (This becomes the new plan)
12:15 - entire Spud Max (pictured above)
 2:30 - bag of popcorn
 3:30 - applesauce
Questions about dinner started immediately after the last snack.
If you are wondering how we let him have this much food, know that for every item eaten, there are requests that are nonstop for even more. Tonight our sweet friend, Sarah is coming to babysit. I hope she is prepared for the mayhem of 'roid rage!

3 comments:

Amanda Conley said...

Wow...that's a lot of food!

Rhondi said...

The newest addition to WWF....JOSHUA KELLEY!
That's crazy, but thank goodness it's only temporary, right?
What's for dinner?

Anonymous said...

I was on steroids for several months many years ago and I remember oh so well about this hunger that never goes away. Trust me when I tell you it is real and the steroids are to blame. Once I was off of them, I was fine. Hang in there! Our thoughts and prayes are with you.