Thursday, December 11, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom


Ramona Casey grew up in the tiny farm town of Causey, New Mexico. At the age of 4, my mom met a sweet little boy named Joe Parker in her Sunday School class at the local First Baptist Church. During their high school years they began to date and both realized their desire to pursue higher education, something uncommon in this tiny town. Upon high school graduation, they were accepted at the University of Eastern New Mexico, where they both pursued degrees in education.
Shortly after starting college, at the age of 19, they were married with a borrowed dress, a wedding cake made by her sister, and yellow daisy adorning the church. Only a few years later, my mom experienced difficult loss through a tubal pregnancy that left doctors unsure of her ability to have more children. Thankfully, God blessed them with 3 daughters over the next 7 years. During that time, mom completed both her bachelor's and master's degrees in education and began a teaching career that would last nearly 20 years.
Mom was always a great support to my dad as he pursued his career as an attorney and eventually as a judge. Somehow my mom always managed to work while also keeping us fed with wholesome homemade meals. Not only that, but she also showed me and my sisters how to pursue Christ through a daily quiet time and by using her spiritual gift of hospitality. I can't remember a time without extra dinner guests, planning the next year's Labor Day breakfast, or hosting a weekly Bible study.
As my children begin to learn loving books and Bible stories, I am reminded of the many hours my mom spent reading to me every night. I also think of the night I became a follower of Christ. I was 10 years old and on the way home from the grocery store, my mom and I began to talk about Jesus' place in my life. After we pulled into the garage, we sat and prayed together. It is a vivid memory in my mind and a foundational moment in my walk with the Lord. 
Thank you mom. Have a very Happy Birthday. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you my darling Jana for this beautiful gift especially on this Birthday. Your words are so filed with great memories, compliments, and lovely, amazing love. I love you so dearly and all your little family. Can't wait to see you all!

Karen Martin Maher said...

What a great post-now I know where you get it from! Happy holidays!

Patient and Persistent said...

What a fabulous way to "gift" your mother on her birthday! It's always nice to tell someone how much they mean to you and as a mother we all hope our own children have such wonderful memories to share someday! Thanks for sharing with us!

(we miss you)!

Marcy Faye Hallden said...

When I saw this title, I knew I wanted to read it right away--I still remember your Dad's birthday post! What great parents--and what a testimony seeing all their children's families walking so closely with the Lord!!

Anonymous said...

Please tell your mom Happy Birthday, albeit belated!

The Parker household was always a loving and welcoming place...so many precious memories. Hope you are well.

Kim Olin (Hieronymus)