Monday, May 11, 2009

The Sin of Not Waiting

Last night, Joshua took his last dose of steroids for the month. So, the side effects will slowly fade away throughout today. All in all, this week has not been that bad. Thursday, however, was a very tough day for Joshua. He woke up with very bad allergies, achy from the previous day's chemo, and highly irritable from the steroids. Joshua spent most of the morning crying and screaming. I didn't know what to do. He refused to go to Mother's Day Out and did not want rest on the couch. Finally, at around 10:30, I fed him and Andi lunch and put them both back to bed. I needed to regroup. 

By the end of the day, Joshua started to perk up and even made it to a friend's birthday party. Me, on the other hand...I felt like a failure. I couldn't understand why, out of all the days we've shared together with the same crazy drugs, I couldn't figure out how to make this one better. I stayed calm all day. I went through the motions and phrases to try and comfort Joshua, but my heart was so weary. I just wanted it all to be over with.

Then, yesterday, at church, our pastor spoke on "The Sin of Not Waiting" from the first 8 verses of Exodus 32, when Aaron fashioned a golden calf while waiting for Moses to return from the mountain. Scott talked about the sadness of the passage. How sad it was that the people chose their temporary satisfaction, the relieving of their fears and discomforts, over waiting for the Lord to speak through Moses. 

Even though I know the exact date that Joshua's treatment will come to an end, I still feel the pull of waiting. As I give into the anxiety of waiting, I feel myself giving in to my fears, being selfish, and using other things to fill my time. With the message yesterday, I realize that waiting for the Lord to get us through to the next phase of life will allow me to know the Lord and love others well. 

Waiting is a part of life, but most of the time I see it as something to just get through. I want to be a better "waiter" than that, one that waits with hope in the future, but recognizes the value of the process in getting there.

4 comments:

Jason said...

thank you guys for your transparency.

jenni said...

oh, girl~you are speaking to my heart right now!! i know our situations are different but i am wanting to get through this transtion so badly & quickly.

thank you for your words & honesty...

Ladd Family said...

Jana, I needed that encouragment today. Waiting is so hard for me. Thank you for your heart. Love, Heather

Anonymous said...

Oh Jana, I am so sorry you have to go through so much. I heard a 13 year old girl with diabetics say the Jonus brother with the same disease sends out dog tags that say, "I'l be okay after a while."
And the girl said in the Doctor's show, "And we will all be okay after a while." I don't know if it was meant to be a faith statement exactly, but wow!! Waiting is so difficult and not many of us are good at it. I guess that is why God promises so much to those who wait like Isaish 40:31 who all know well. "You, my dear will mount up with wings like eagles and run and never get tired." I don't know about the hurt in running. Oh how I love you my darling daughter! Mom