It seems that those words have taken on new meaning for me in the past 3 and a half years. In those 3 years, I have done the best I could to care for my son. Through sickness and hair loss. Through crying nights and days of questions. And for much of the time, I have felt myself hanging on by a thread.
But You? You know so much better than I do what it means to watch your Boy suffer. And because You do, I believe You have poured Your grace and mercy upon us. That grace has been far more profound than just the ability to get through the day, though You have been continuously faithful for doing that.
The fact that we are still here - all of us - is a testimony to your persevering power.
But You have gone beyond giving us our daily bread. You have sat with us in quiet rooms. You have rocked with us in hard-back chairs. You have cried with us as we have seen friends leave this world and go to be with You. You have lifted us up and born us on your strong back.
Over and over again, You have proven Yourself to be abundantly, exceedingly, and wonderfully able.
I think this morning of what our son's name means: The Lord is Salvation. And the truth of that statement is starting to seep in. You have saved, are saving, and will continue to save us. And through these troubles, amazingly, we have become more convinced of Your love in Christ from which we will never be separated in us.
We have believed, and yet you have helped our unbelief. I confess at times I have accused You of sleeping in the boat while the wind and the waves raged around us, but I know deep in my heart that You do not slumber or sleep. You have been ever watchful, ever mindful, and ever good.
Thank You, Father, for keeping us in faith. For prospering us and not harming us. For giving us hope and a future.
And now, will You, by Your grace, continue to uphold our family as we move forward. Help us not to forget Your faithfulness. May the remaining decades of our lives ring with the stories of Your goodness. I pray that our little boy would become convinced of Your good work in His life, and that we might faithfully be a comfort to others with the comfort we have received from You.
May it be done for the glory of Your own suffering Son who now sits victoriously, interceding for us even at this very moment.
Amen.
**Today is the last day of intravenous chemotherapy for Joshua, 3 and a half years after his diagnosis of leukemia. After his treatment today, he will take his pills for 5 more days. The last pill is Sunday.
14 comments:
Praising the Lord for this sweet time in your lives! I remember how I was amazed when I learned a year ago of this journey that you guys have been on! So thankful for the Lord's provision!
Jana I am so excited for your little family! Much to celebrate!
Rejoicing with you today!
Super duper awesome. We could not express our happiness for you guys, so we'll let the Holy Spirit do it for us. LOVE YOU GUYS!
PRAISE GOD!!! We love you guys and Joshua!
I'm thankful to have been able to watch on and pray with you guys through this journey. I know that today and this week must be very emotional. I love you all and I'm excited with you.
How exciting. As a PICU nurse who has the privilege of walking the journey of cancer with families like you, I am SOOOO excited for ya'll. I know that this day means so much to you and am so thankful that you are encountering a blessing at the end of the road.
What a wonderful way to celebrate our Savior's birth!
Praise God!!
Whoooo hooo! Good bye chemo- don't let the door hit ya' on the way out! So happy for you all. God is soooooooooo good!
So glad this day is finally here!! You guys are such a testimony.
Merry Christmas
what a beautiful prayer!!! we celebrate with you in this SIGNIFICANT milestone today and give our Father praise for His grace, love, strength, and sustaining power over these 3 1/2 years. we love you guys sooooooooo much! thankful for you! we love you JOSHUA!!!!!
What a beautiful prayer - I'm totally crying. Congratulations Joshua! What a little trooper! And congratulations to the whole family. You're such a testimony of faith an perseverance! Much love!!!
Michael and Jana,
We have learned of your journey through our dear friends, the Nielsens. We have prayed for you and think of you often. Please know that your faith is an inspiration to us as we go through a trial with our 5 year old daughter...who is getting a kidney transplant in February. Reading this prayer this morning has brought tears to my eyes as I think of the grace that our Father so freely gives to His children. Thank you for sharing your life and know we will continue to pray for you all.
Love,
The Hafenrichters
(Everett, Michelle, Ella, Ethan and Ava - Albuquerque, NM)
Post a Comment