Monday, June 16, 2008

Hold That Second Thought

Why oh why is it so hard to say the right thing to someone living in crisis, or in our case, living on the edge of crisis? I know that I have done it, too. You want to say the thing that makes the person in crisis feel cared for and loved, but then you keep talking. It is my observation that the second thought is always the one that could be left out. The initial reaction is kind, considerate and full of understanding. The second comes with a level of comfort that may not have been granted by the one in crisis. Take for instance the encounter we had today.

The woman I met was very kind. She talked and asked probing questions about our lives and our children. Very kind. Then, Joshua took off his life vest (we were at the swimming pool) which revealed the spot where his port is placed. This kind woman asked what that was for and I explained the last year and a half of our life. She was kind enough to listen. She said she was sorry and mentioned she knew someone else going through the same thing. Then, it hit, the second thought. She said, "I have read about all the things that people feed their children that causes leukemia." What I heard was, "You fed Joshua things that caused his leukemia."

Once again the second thought gets someone in trouble. I know that this poor woman did not mean to do it, but I have spent the rest of the day going over what I fed Joshua in the first two years of his life. Did I start formula too soon? Did I start table food too soon? Did I then and now let him have too many sweets? These are the unnecessary questions that happened because of a second thought, even though I know the answers.

The lesson? Sometimes it's more about quality than quantity. Words are powerful things. I hope I'm learning to choose mine more carefully.

PS - nobody be afraid to talk to me any more, please.

11 comments:

Allison said...

was this a large women speaking- cause if so-- so many come backs!
But I am sure in the way that you do you polite smiled and treated her with great respect and kindness-- that is just what the Kelleys do-- but really I love to know what yall are really thinking inside!
Love to all the family!

Anonymous said...

You are an awesome mommy! Don't let the devil get you down! Press on sweet friend! PS I LOVE THE ANDI PHOTO! holly

Anonymous said...

ps. your kid was trying to get my kid to eat carrots and said they were good. who is the allstar here?...enough said! h

knielsen said...

I haven't written anything in a long time so your post encouraged me to speak instead of be silent! What a good reminder of James 1; be quick to listen and slow to speak! I need that reminder. It's so easy to beat ourselves up with "what ifs" but you have done nothing but be a fabulous mom and example for many. We love you and are praying for you!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Ugh. What Kim said. Thanks for the reminder that we ALL need to think before we speak!

Rhondi said...

Ugh, wowsa. She definitely should not have said that. You're a great mom to your kiddies & don't ever forget that.
xoxo

Rebecca said...

I hate the doubt that her comments created in your heart...especially as you've spent the last 18+ months doing nothing but caring for Joshua's every need. I also hate those thoughts that creep into my mind...that I somehow did something wrong with Gage that then caused him all this pain. I just try to stop myself before I really go there... So, don't let some stranger's careless words discourage you!

carriehayes said...

awe...Jana you are the best!!! stupid words! i hate them. i wish i could have met you guys at the zoo today...we were just getting up out of bed... :)

Karen Martin Maher said...

Are you kidding you are a wonderful Mom-she obviously did not know who she was talking too!

Anonymous said...

yuck! when my sister had leukemia nearly 20 years ago, people would say stuff to my mom like "we hear it's caused by microwaves." and of course she felt awful for having a microwave in the house...

it is NOT you that caused it. it's Satan. and i want to kick him in the teeth.

Anonymous said...

You are a parent living in the world of constant questions and concerns about our kids (probably more than the average for you). Know that you are an amazing mom, who lives in a daily state of grace....I am ever thankful for that always present grace! You have done nothing wrong....shame on that lady....may our words be seasoned with wisdom!

Andrea